Friday, June 28, 2013

Land(Water?)scapes (Week 6)


This week is all about landscapes. With the weather the way it is this week and a big concert weekend I decided to bring my camera to the beach this afternoon to enjoy, if not the sun, the lack of rain.

0.3 f/16 ISO 800 40mm
This was taken looking looking towards New York from North Beach in Burlington. I took about twenty exposures till I was able to make the sky look like what I was seeing. Unfortunately the peaceful sky is ruined by the dark and gloomy, almost angry, lake. This is one of the situations where HDR processing may have helped, although I think that the dark water is just how it was looking. I think I might take the boat out sometime this summer and try to take another shot closer to the island. I hope to make it bigger while keeping the horizon in the same place.





5 comments:

  1. This picture is broken roughly into thirds horizontally by the changes in the landscape, only the middle third is a little smaller than the upper and lower thirds (yes, I realize that math doesn't work out quite right). The bottom third being the water, the upper third being the more defined clouds at the top, and the middle third being the softer, peachier sky in between the two. The dark and sinister waters below are in strong contrast to the light fluffy clouds in the sky above. The combination, and the lack of a visible sun in the sky, makes the island off in the distance seem that much more foreboding. I don't know if you've ever seen the show, but this picture makes me think of Harper's Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the contrast of the dark lake and the light soft color of the sky. The texture of the lake also looks nice against the sky. The photo is framed well, with nothing extra to distract from the view. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always really enjoy getting lake/river/pond shots, add the sunset I am in heaven for a few minutes... I like photos where I can see myself in at any given time, this week hasn't been on anyone's favorites list but it has given me some good photos despite not much sun... having fun with what you are doing is definitely always an added bonus and photography I noticed I am thinking about it more and possible places to photograph ~ Adirondacks on Wednesday so I hope to be able to post some great pictures. Good Job : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot,the clouds are beautiful. The contrast of the water and sky really works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would call this one a skyscape, because it's the clouds that really jump out at you. I would love to see more shots from this vantage point.

    ReplyDelete