One of our two assignments for class this week is to photograph the same subject in three different lighting situation. I knew the easiest way to do this was to find a subject I could move around. I pulled out two of my figurines and set out on my lighting adventure.
 |
| 1/640 f/2.8 ISO 100 40mm |
This was shot about midday under a very overcast sky. Using nature's best diffuser, clouds, I was able to capture a very evenly lit shot. While there are some shadows they are not overwhelming.
 |
| 30.0 f/2.8 ISO 1600 40mm |
Twelve hours later I went back outside and shot these guys at night with no flash or dedicated light source. Night time photography has been something I have been experimenting with since I get a tripod. Really cool thing s happen when the shutter is open for 30 seconds :)
 |
| 0.6 f/2.8 ISO 400 40mm |
This last image was taken about ten minutes after the previous one. For this shot I used a large mag-light to shine a 3/4 front light on the figures. While not as well lit as the first photo this one is much better than the second. Colors are more visible, even though things are a little over-exposed.
And now for the bonus round!!
 |
| This is a heavily processed image. I'm not even sure what the settings are anymore... |
Light painting is something I have wanted to try for a while. This being a week of assignments based on light, I figured I would give it a shot. It could use a little more work, but I think the effect is there. I used this figure because Zoroak (a Pokemon) is supposed to be the master of illusions and I thought this effect looked very illusionist-like.
Pokemon lol, I haven seen those toys in awhile. but good pictures
ReplyDeleteI agree with your assessment that the first picture shows the most detail because nothing is blown out. The colors look cooler in this picture due to the diffused sunlight as opposed to the night shot with no flash or other light source, which added a warmer glow to the picture. Overall these lighting changes aren't very extreme. I would play around with more lighting options to see how your picture changes with light sources that are more focused or at more varied angles to your subject to see how that changes the feel of the picture. I would also experiment with alternate compositions where your subject isn't necessarily centered within the frame.
ReplyDeleteOn you second shot, I am amazed at how much light your camera pulled in. My Canon will also do the same thing with long exposures(tripod is a MUST), but I am disappointed by the blown out area on the smaller figurine. It might have been better to have shortened the exposure time on that one a bit. I love the light painting, just out of curiosity what was your light source? I looks almost like it might be a Bic lighter.
ReplyDeleteThe over exposure was because someone opened the kitchen door and let out all the light halfway through the exposure. I didn't realize how much effect it had till I looked at the shots on my computer.
DeleteI ended up using a long birthday candle for the light painting. I'm going to redo this at some point with something that will form a smaller, darker flame. Maybe an incense stick?