Thursday, June 13, 2013

Compliments and Analogues (Class week 4 Part 2)

The second assignment for this week is to take two pictures showing Analogous, Complimentary, or Monochrome color schemes. I chose Analogous and Complimentary.

1/6 f/8 ISO 6400 40mm
I was looking for an old phone cord... Banana Phone jokes will have to wait
Unfortunately I was forced inside to take this evening's photos. In person the three yellows and the orange are very different from each other, showing the spectrum from the pure-ish yellow of the banana  to the orange of the blanket behind it.

1/6 f/2.8 ISO 1600 40mm
When I first think of complimentary colors I see a red flower against the green of its leaves. I decided I wanted to do something different. So I found my mom's Gumby figure and put him on a red towel. What makes me like this photo so much is because we will never know what he is looking at to give him that crazy eyed smile.

5 comments:

  1. I've had similar issues with the color shots feeling that I can't quite capture them accurately this week due to the overcast weather we've had by the time I get home from work every day. I can see where you were trying to go with your analogous color shot, but it unfortunately feels more like a yellow filter was applied to this picture, so the richness of the colors is diminished.

    Conversely, the complimentary color photo is successful on a number of levels. The colors are very rich and true, meeting the assignment requirements perfectly. In addition, the composition and lighting are interesting. As you said, it makes you wonder where Gumby is and what he's looking at. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banana reminds me of Warhol. I also shared similar difficulties in capturing color. The way it's shot I think you could even call it monochromatic because the furry background has sort of a yellow hue to it. I like how the diagonal line behind the banana is balanced with the line created between the banana tip and peel part (not sure about a formal term for this). I also like the different textures you brought in.

    Gumby is absolutely fantastic. He really pops against the background and I like how his eye line is going in the same place as the shadows. It's subtle but I think it makes a big difference. This is a great picture because of its composition and use of complimentary color. It really gets me thinking about what he's looking at as you said as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This weather hasn't been the greatest, but you were very creative with your photos. I like how the green fella's eyes match the floor. Overall Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you took bright objects and the first one used the same color as the object and the second one used a different color for the bottom. I have to say I like the second one the best it made me chuckle a little! I have to agree with Evelyn on the creativeness of these photos, I found them both unique and you did a really good job this week. I enjoyed looking at your photos.
    Thea

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very creative photos, different object and colors. Great job

    ReplyDelete