Thursday, June 6, 2013

All Things Macro (Class week 3)

This week we had to walk around with our cameras in macro mode. After living in manual mode or aperture priority mode for so long I will admit this was a struggle for me.


I'm not going to try to list the settings for all of these...If you want to know how one was shot, let me know.
Ok. So these may not be true macro photos. The challenge for me this week was getting up close and personal with my subjects. I think that if I cropped some of these down I might be able to get closer to true macro, but my trusty 40mm won't focus close enough for in camera macro.

Anyway, I like how the collage came out. I wish I had taken more photos like the one in the top left. With the narrow depth of field my lens can achieve I think there are some really cool effects I can get with different wall textures.

8 comments:

  1. I think you did a fantactic job with macro photos this week. The one picture that caught my eye was the red flower in the bottom left corner. I do agree with you on if you cropped some of the picture you could see more details in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say the dandelion is my favorite. I wanted to blow and send everything flying. I also found the twigs was good. It was clear and concise and each trig stood out. The hole in the tree trunk showed good depth of field and was clear picture of the trunk of the tree. Your collage had an interesting variety of different subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,

    What I really enjoy about your collage is the theme. All of your photos work together and I feel they begin to tell a story about nature, plants, and broader concepts like the circle of life (i.e. blooming flower versus the dandelion).

    I enjoy the assortment and the way the photos are composed. You also seem to have a flowing color scheme in general: a shift from green in the dominant top half to more colors in the bottom images.

    One thing I might have done differently is to omit the spiderweb and maybe the first image on the top left because they don't seem to be in the same category as the majority of the others (plants, trees, etc.). Just an observation - I think you did a great job shooting and the quality of your images is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt,
    I really enjoyed this. It brought in so many elements to the outdoors vibe you were portraying. Made me want to get out and enjoy the weather!
    I like how many different textures and elements were played with in the photos, created a dynamic scene and was aesthetically pleasing to me!
    I also agree that the top left was a great photo, I'ed like to see you do more like it. It has the blurry and focused parts in it; really interesting.
    Great overall. I look forwarding to see what you choose to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really love to see your photos in full size! The collage is nice but too small for me to really see all your hard work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You channeled your internal struggle well. I enjoyed looking at your collage and found myself double clicking to see if i could see some of those photos up close. :(( sadly double clicking did not work so I was left wanting. I liked the variety of texture with the mixing of the soft flowers and leaves with the roughness of the trees and straw? I like the spider web? (second one down top right) but my favorite is the red flowers second one up on the bottom left. The color is so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I just posted the moth photo cropped and retouched a bit. What else would you like to see full sized? I'm always searching my photo library for new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This collage screamed spring! Love the pink flower in the bottom left corner, I just love pink flowers. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete