Saturday, June 22, 2013

Breaking the Rules... Aesthetically! (Week 5, part 1)

This week in class we read a lot about the rule of thirds and were told to go out and post about something also we learned about composition. Having spent a few months before this class trolling the internet looking into how to take better pictures, I am very tired hearing about the 'rules' of composition.

Then I found an exciting post at The Digital Photography School. Break the ‘Rules’ of Photography and Take Stunning Images is a list of articles describing how the 'rules' we are taught should be used more as guidelines than as true rules. Seeing this article has shown me how I shouldn't throw out an image just because it isn't perfect technically.

Another article I found is closely related to 'breaking the rules.' I find the rule of thirds to be boring. I know it works, and have taken images where thirds have worked very well. But it always looked so overdone... Then I found this! Fibonacci's number (known as the golden ratio) is a number I have been fascinated with since I studied the Fibonacci Bunny Problem freshman year of high school. After reading this article, and seeing the examples pointed, I feel like I now have a way to use the 'rule of thirds' without getting that over-done effect that put me off before.

Check out those links and let me know what you think, especially about using the golden ratio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment