 |
| 1/25 f/5.6 ISO 800 40mm |
After reading so much about calotype photography for a research project, I became interested in making my own. Unfortunately the chemicals are not easy to come by. Fortunately, I stumbled on a guide to making a digital calotype. A new-age twist on an old technique.
This photo was taken without much planning. I just pointed my camera at her and she smiled. I didn't look through the viewfinder before I snapped the image, and I think that's the biggest problem with this image. I wish I had looked and stepped back a foot or so...
 |
| 1/30 f/2.8 ISO 400 40mm |
This is Mogs. Mogs is quite possibly the craziest cat on the planet. Unfortunately she likes to lie in dark places, requiring high ISO and shooting wide open. I was able to remove most of the noise from the high-ish ISO, but there wasn't much I could do for her ears... It kind of works though, bringing focus more onto her eyes.
Hey Matt,
ReplyDeleteI really like your shots this week. There is one big difference that jumps out at me off the bat. In the first photo, the subject is looking at the camera. In the second, the cat is looking away (it sounds like Mogs is a tough cookie to capture in the first place).
This differentiation makes a huge difference in a portrait. In the first one I think, "this is her," but in the second one of the cat I think, "what's Mogs looking at?".
I think they're both great and the post-capture work you put into them are awesome. I prefer the second one because it leaves me thinking about what's over there. Is it cheese? Is it a mouse? Is it a laser pointer ? Who knows, but it makes me think when I look at it. Awesome job.
I bet the Calotype is hard. So your photographs are actual negatives? I also find portraits of animals fun. I'm surprised I didn't do one of my dog this week since my whole life evolves around my baby basset :) i'm one of those crazy animal people!
ReplyDeleteThea